Miami New Times
is proud to announce their first-time partnership with the charitable organization, Share Our Strength
, to bring awareness of childhood hunger in America. Restaurants participating in the Kickoff event will be a part of the movement that brings food to the mouths of low-income children in Florida with the donation of leftover food to the organization end of the evening. A portion of ticket sales will also go to Share Our Strength, as well as 100% of the proceeds raised during a silent auction that will take place during the event. Many excellent prizes will be available and will go to the highest bidders.
- Our Priority: Ending Childhood Hunger in America
No child should grow up hungry in America, but one in five children struggles with hunger. Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
- What We Do
The No Kid Hungry campaign connects kids in need with nutritious food and teaches their families how to cook healthy, affordable meals. The campaign also engages the public to make ending childhood hunger a national priority.
- How We Do It
– We're ending childhood hunger by connecting kids to effective nutrition programs like school breakfast and summer meals. This work is accomplished through the No Kid Hungry network, made up of private citizens, government officials, business leaders, and others providing innovative hunger solutions in their communities. These partners work together, implementing solutions that break down the barriers that keep kids from healthy food.
– Through its Cooking Matters program, the No Kid Hungry campaign educates and empowers low-income families to stretch their food budgets so their kids get healthy meals at home. Cooking Matters participants learn to shop strategically, use nutrition information to make healthier food choices, and cook delicious, affordable meals.
– The No Kid Hungry campaign works to shine a national spotlight on the crisis of childhood hunger in America, creating a powerful movement of individuals committed to bold action. We build partnerships that enlist influential individuals in the cause and advocate policy changes needed to achieve our goals.
– Together, we are making No Kid Hungry a reality in America. Will you join us?
- About Share Our Strength
Share Our Strength began in the basement of a row house on Capitol Hill in 1984, in response to the 84–85 famine in Ethiopia. Brother and sister Bill and Debbie Shore started the organization with the belief that everyone has a strength to share in the global fight against hunger and poverty, and that in these shared strengths lie sustainable solutions. Today we focus these strengths on making No Kid Hungry a reality in America.